Butterflies of Sri Lanka - #01 Tiny Grass Blue


I found this Tiny Grass Blue (Zizula hylax),  butterfly foraging in my backyard. I used Nikon D3200 with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens to capture this tiny butterfly. This butterfly known to be the smallest butterfly seen in Sri Lanka. The butterfly was resting on a very low grass blossom. The background was pretty cluttered. I tried using f/5.6 to get a cleaner background. I was almost lying on the ground to get an eye level view through my viewfinder, and to keep the lens perpendicular to the surface of the wings (to keep everything in focus). Even then, some area is not in perfect focus, I admit. Such a low position makes it very difficult to confirm whether the butterfly was really in focus or not.

 I prefer Live-view screen as that allows me to go further down without awkwardly hurting my neck.  The tiny grass blue is found in several races throughout tropical and subtropical Africa, Asia, and Oceania, including India, Japan, the Philippines, Singapore, Swaziland, north and east coasts of Australia and also in southern Australia.

                                                                            Forewing

ISO -200  f/5.6 1/125sec
ISO -125  f/8 1/200sec

                                                            

Comments

Popular Posts