Dragonflies of Sri Lanka - #06 Pied Paddy Skimmer


I found this Female Pied Paddy Skimmer (also known as Pied Parasol) dragonfly on a cloudy morning. I tried shooting him with my little Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS6 digital camera thinking that he will fly off if I approach closer. The results were not good as light had faded and I had to resort for a shallower depth of field or higher ISO both of which are detrimental to the quality of macro. So I ran quickly and grab my Nikon macro rig with Godox ThinkLite TT560 and came back hoping he will still be there waiting for me. He did not disappoint me. It was a very pleasant shooting. Fortunately Breeze was calm on that moment, which helped me to critically focus on the dragonfly.

It is a conspicuous species of ponds, marshes and paddy fields. Low Flight Which is slow and weak. Usually perches on twigs, aquatic weeds and other plants. This species is very common along irrigation canals in paddy fields.

                                                                    
                                                                    Female Pied Parasol
ISO -110  f/8 1/125sec

                                                                       Male Pied Parasol
ISO -100  f/8 1/60sec

Comments

Popular Posts